NetApp silently released their DS4486 shelf at the beginning of June. This shelf marks the first of the 4th generation shelves carrying a whopping 48 disks in a 4U chassis. This new shelf only supports 3TB disks, but with this type of density you’ll be able to pack quite a punch in a single rack.
Some additional information about the shelves:
- Supported on the following systems:
- FAS/V6000 Series
- FAS/V6200 Series
- Requires Data OnTap 8.1.1RC1 or higher
- No MetroCluster support
- Requires it’s own stack, meaning no mixing and matching DS4243 shelves, but this is the case with all the disk shelf models that are SAS.
- Recommended to have four (4) spare disks instead of two (2), this accommodates the evacuation of two disks that are needed to replace a drive.
- You replace 2 disks at once, not just one disk at a time.
- Maximum shelves per stack: 5
The DS4486 is currently available to order via your NetApp sales representative.